Rugby News Australia, 2021 Super Rugby AU WK5: Reds v Western Force Report

by Sports Benches

Queensland Reds off to a great start at home in Brisbane. They are able to take advantage of the Western Force poor discipline. Thanks to a great scrum orchestrated/scored by half-back Tate McDermott. With Harry Wilson for the assist via the inside short ball. 7-0 after 9.

But they are not perfect at the same time as well. Having seen a couple of penalties lost against the Force. Which ultimately saw them score the three-point penalty goal. It did not take that quick though for the Reds to bounce back. Especially when they were patient in their third. Found some gaps on the far right side. And found Hunter Paisami with the finish. Reds 12-3 Western Force after the 17th minute.

Force did make up some lost time when they had the ball. Took their chance with patience this time. Credit is due from half-back Tomas Cubelli who needed his forwards help. And that request was answered successfully. As Felati Kaitu’u touched down the goal line. Alongside the push from Sitaleki Timani at second row (No.5). Force trails by 4 points after 20.

Reds next run were not the same from the 1st 20 mins. There were ill-discipline gained from their end. Especially when they defend. Plus a couple of unsuccessful conversions to try and extend the lead. Despite given some chances to lunch the attack. While the Force had more time with the ball. They might have fallen short towards the goal line during a couple of attempts. But the away team got a three-point penalty goal.

Half-Time is the Queensland Reds lead the Western Force by one point. 14-13.

Reds continued to have some attacking opportunities. But unable to get themselves over the line. Especially when the referee and the TMO rendered as No Try. And Force able to remain patient wth the ball carry. Which saw them take over the lead for the first time tonight. After the successful penalty goal from Jake McIntyre for the Force. 14-16 after 51.

Reds though able to flip the ball with the Force struggling to continue. Thanks to the push from Taniela Tupou who read their isolation well. Before they reclaimed the scoreboard lead. When Hunter Paisami found some gap through the gate for his 2nd touchdown. Reds 19-16 after 53. But Force leveled the lead not long later via another penalty goal. It is 19-19 square with 23 minutes left on the clock.

Before the Reds extended their lead again in the 67th minute. When the Force unable to get themselves ahead. Due to a lack of talk up there such as the fumble. And the Reds patient going forward. Tate McDermott once again looked after the scrum well. Found Suliasi Vunivalu quickly towards his left. Then assisted Jock Campbell with the Reds 4th touchdown.

Reds lead 26-19 with nearly ten minutes to go. They might have dealt a couple more discipline mistakes. Plus the fumbles involved as well. But managed to defend well in the end that secured the win. As Western Force did have some chances to level the score again. So this game can go into extra time. But spent too much time via the pick & drive. Alongside a lack of executions that ultimately cost the game.

You may also like

Leave a Comment